Monday, December 6, 2010

Deck The Halls

Germany made the first artificial Christmas trees. They were made of goose feathers and dyed green.  I have my great-grandmother's feather tree she made as a young girl, but it is very fragile and I have a furry that is too curious.

I finally got to decorating for the season.  I don't put up a tree any more, but my SIL brought me the "glitter" tree as she thought I needed one.  The little figures are keepsakes my children have given me thru the years.  And the wallhanging is an advent that I made my daughter 25 yrs. ago.  I wanted to display my Charming Chatter's Secret Santa Swap that Shannon made me so hung it over the enclosed fireplace - love it.   

I made up the two cross-stitch stockings for our sewing classes' holiday parties - one for our Monday group and one for our Tuesday group.  We pulled names, so a Secret Sister Swap.  Funny because I pulled my Aunt for the one group.      It has been hard for me to get in the seasonal mood this year and I think it is because I had everything done so early this year.  And with setting the goal of  taking things slowly during November and December just is not how I work.  And then my grandson threw the monkey wrench of deciding to come early - but he's a keeper.                  
         

                                                          
    I pulled another quilt from my "finished" bin - scrappy maverick stars from Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville.  Very easy pattern and works up so quickly.  It has made it's way to the Veteran's Hospital and is part of the "100 Quilts for Christmas".  Remember those in need at this time of year.  Check with your churches - they usually have a list or I have even seen in the malls and outlets with "adopt a family" trees where you can pull a name and send gifts.  Our area Walmart has a mitten and hat tree that you can clip items on when you go to shop.
Many blessings to all,
Sewingly Yours,
Sharon


                                                                     


6 comments:

Katie @SwimBikeQuilt said...

This is a beautiful quilt! I love the scrappy style. Thanks for linking up. Merry Christmas!

Shannon said...

I hope you like it. I feel like such a turkey for messing things up. I loved working on this for you. I hope you liked the cross stitch I sent also. When you mentioned you liked cross stitching I ran right out to find you a fun one. Merry Christmas!!

Roma said...

Sharon your mantel is just right!!
And your gransons will enjoy it as well. (At least the older one will)
Bake soem cookies today!! This always puts me in the Christmas Spirit..

StitchinByTheLake said...

I used to do a lot of cross stitch but had to give it up some years ago when my eyes started rejecting those tiny little stitches. :) But I love it still and your stockings are wonderful. I love the quilt too - what a treasured gift to give someone in the hospital. blessings, marlene

Vivian said...

Love your wonky stars! I have to try doing these one day as "leader/enders" and after a time see what develops from them.

Val's Quilting Studio said...

Your star donation I'm sure is softened by love by now! Thanks for digging into your archives for this one Sharon! Isn't it fun to rejuvinate these older posts....I mean I had just started quilted in 2010!!!