Thursday, February 24, 2011

BBBBRRRR....

It has been too cold for too long! February here in NY has been snowy and sub-cold. Both my boys (27 & 28) happened to stop in the same night, of course around dinner. Boy that hasn't changed. So a quick, what's easy, filling and warm you up meal can I fix? This is a quick meal I use to make when they were kids. I use to use Bisquick to make my own dough, but remember (?) I don't bake.
Chili Cheese Dog Pot Pie
Ingredients:
3 cups chili with beans (cans)
1/2 pound hot dogs, sliced
2 cups shredded cheese (I had Taco blend on hand)
1 Family size flaky layer biscuits roll
Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees .
Spread half of the chili into the bottom of a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. Make a layer of the hot dogs over the chili. Cover the hot dog layer with cheese, then top with the rest of the chili. Pop open the biscuits and separate layers. Lay the dough over the contents of the dish, and poke a few slits to vent steam.
Bake for 15 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the top crust is golden

Block Party:


This is the newest BlockaPalooza block. I just love this line - Buttercup - by Moda.

And the next block for the Layer Cake Quilt Along. I used up one left over group of FQs , so now using another group. My earlier blocks will go into a small sampler and the last few blocks in this line will go into a table topper. Wow, Christmas presents done already.


The next step of Happy Quilting Quilt Along. Those 16-patch blocks have been sliced, diced, and sewn back together. I gave them a final pressing with starch as now all the outer edges are bias.





A Finish:


This star sampler I made 3 yrs. ago - cannot remember what Quilt Guild website I got this BOM from. It is my February UFO finish for the PatchworkTimes Challenge. It is handquilted - took all month, but it is done!


I tried to work on this when the 'Queen' was off for her nap. Thought I was clever in keeping it in a bag, so she wouldn't get on it. She was gone during her usual bedroom nap time, so I got it out of the bag to finish the last corner and few inches of binding. I tugged and pulled - lo, she had crawled in the bag and into the quilt folds to take her nap. Quilt has now been 'cat scanned'.

SQUARED UP:


Moving on to the 9-patch block. This little project is for the Moda Bake Shop Charm challenge. I'm using Breakfast At Tiffany's - Moda. I set out all my charms into 9's and then just chained sewed til' all the blocks were done. Think it took longer to decide what charm to use where then the sewing.


These have then been sliced horizontally and vertically for the split 9-patch block. No tutorial as there are lots out there if you need. Hopefully I can get the rest of the project completed by this weekend so I can bundle it up - top, backing, batt - to send to the longarmer. I want a special quilting - another Christmas gift. Oh, I'm filling that box fast.


This is a quilt my MOM made - her version of my Garden Bed charm and 4-patch quilt. These are 3.5" squares with 3.5" (using 2" strips) 4-patch, set into beds - 'Red Beds'. Sashed up with borders - how pretty. She's slowly learning to use her stash - we put her on a fabric diet. It's time to use those 4 rooms of fabric. (she probably has more hidden)





February has held a flurry of snow and cold - and lots of projects! Will March enter as the Lion or the Lamb? And if which, how will it inspire my next month's fun with fabric?

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

15 comments:

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Thanks for the yummy recipe! Your Block Party block is beautiful and I love the colors in your Layer Cake block. I really like your Star Sampler quilt - stunning!

beth said...

You're such a busy girl!!! WOW! I like that D9P!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

Wow! You have so much on the go, I get tired reading it !LOL
I am addicted to the disappearing 9 patch right now...so much fun!

Shannon said...

I love your blocks for the Happy Quilting quilt along. I need to catch up. You have been busy.

Sheila said...

Your Mom's quilt is lovely, beautifully quilted. Nice squares. Completed UFO Star Sampler quilt ... WOW! The Chili Cheese Dog Pot Pie looks like fun from preparation to consumption. I can see me and some grandkids having fun making this one on any Saturday. Thanks for another yummy looking recipe.

Michelle said...

I love your star sampler!

Kelly@ Charming Chatter said...

YUM - the recipe looks delish!! Love your blocks (especially the ones with Breakfast at Tiffany's and Buttercup)! And, your star sampler is so pretty! I want to come sew and eat at your house (smile)!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Awhhhhhhhh.....now I'm hungry again. You are the fastest quilter I know and your work is always beautiful!

pinsandneedles said...

You have some great finishes! I like how the Happy Quilting quilt along blocks are coming together. You have been very busy.

KatieQ said...

I'll bet your sons really enjoyed that meal. I love your Block a Palooza block with the Buttercup fabric. Your D9P looks great. You almost can't go wrong with that pattern. It's one of my favorites because it always looks so much harder than it is.

Aunt Spicy said...

Even though its cold and snowy, I seem to get more of my sewing projects done in the winter! Your blocks look really great!

JudyCinNC said...

The kitty sure does like that quilt. Thanks for the recipe as I am always looking for "filler ups" for when the grand kids drop by. Nice finishes for the month. Judy C www.shadetreequilting.com

Katie said...

That recipe sounds delicious and easy. I think I'll have try that out soon. Thank you! All your finishes are fantastic. I love that your kitty helps, too. Mine climb into anything, but are most determined to be wrapped up within a quilt as I work on it. But I think I'm most struck with your mom having four rooms full of fabric?! That quilt she made is fantastic and I hope encouragement to keep using her stash!

BetsyE said...

Nice finish! and a most adorable kitty!

Girltwin64 said...

OMG I can't wait to try this recipe! Just love all the itmes you are working on to!