Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Jack Frost Nipping


In 1940 flocking was introduced. What is a flocked Christmas tree you ask? Well a flocked Christmas tree has artificial snow applied to it. Either an artificial or a live Christmas tree can be made into a flocked Christmas tree. Do you remember the home Flocking Kits? You could apply flocking with your vacumm - problem was it usually was everywhere - I can remember my Dad trying this when a child. The tree was removed, the house scrubbed and a new tree was had - not a happy time.

It took several years to perfect and many patents, but NOMA company finally introduced the popular bubble lights in 1946. I can remember my grandparents' wonderful bubble lights and many delicate glass blown ornaments from Germany. I can also remember how rare (and expensive at the time) tinsel was, and removing it carefully from the tree to be saved for the next year.

**IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR THE BLOG HOP GIVE AWAY - GO HERE**


And the last of the ornaments have arrived from Tonya's ornament swap. From Jill, Sherry, and Evielynne, thank you dear ladies! I certainly will be looking forward to participating next year.


I finished all the little stitcheries fromPaula Stoddard's PacificPatchWork. The floss is a verigated grey,brown,purple so I need to think on the fabric to use for sashing/borders. This will go on my 2012 mini list.


I loved how the BlueBerry Crumb Cake charms arrived just as the last 12 of Hearts block came out on Michelle's RaspBerry Rabbits Blog. This is ready to sandwich up, quilt, bind and ready for the new year. Yeah, my Easter banner mini is done!


Look at all the goodies from my partner, Della, in the Santa Sack SwapII. My, oh, my!! I don't know if there is a specific day we are to open these - if not, these are my Christmas Eve gifts to open. Thank you Della. The 15th we get to open our Santa Sack SwapI gifts and I will share that.

SOMETHING NEW


There is a new button on my side bar for Marcia's new scrap challange using her 'denim block' tutorial construction. You have until Jan 17th to post on her link up and she is giving a 'free' quilting of your item as a prize. Check this out for all the rules - scrappy happy play, I'm in!

CLOSING THOUGHT

JACK FROST
Someone painted pictures on my window pane last night;
Willow trees with trailing boughs and flowers, frosty white;
And lovely crystal butterflies.
But when the morning sun touched them with it’s
Golden blaze, they vanished one by one.
- Helen Bayley Davis

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

great lot of gifts there Sharon.Cheryll's santa swap we open the 15th and i think Carol's santa sack swap 2 we open xmas day.

Cool Cats and Quilts said...

Very interesting, I love that flocked tree! My parents did not try, but I remember some snow in a can my aunt used.

Stray Stitches (Linda G) said...

Your stitchery blocks turned out great! Thanks for the information on flocking.

KatieQ said...

I remember flocked trees in the stores and at some friends' houses when I was growing up. Our family never had one. I also remember the pastel colored artificial tree craze. One of our neighbors had a pink tree and another had one that was powder blue. ugh!

Of course the height of modern holiday decor was the aluminum Christmas tree that had a revolving color wheel in front of it that changed the color of the tree as it revolved. We never had one of those either.

I always found bubble lights fascinating. In the 1950s there was a Chinese laundry a few blocks away from where we lived. They had a tiny tree with bubble lights in the window of their storefront every Christmas. I would stare at the tree in absolute wonder every time we went by. The Chinese couple who owned the laundry would wave to me as I watched. It added an exotic aura to the lights.
Thanks for rekindling memories from long ago.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

Very interesting tree flocking info. I never thought about it being patented. =)

How fun! a tree ornament swap...How did I miss that one?

Lots of fun packages waiting for you to open them! Lucky Duck!

hugZ,
annie m
anniesrubyslipperz.com

Mrs.Pickles said...

you have been very busy!

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Love your embrodiered heart quilt. It looks great with the blueberry crumbs.

You put me to shame. I've been on the computer all day doing genealogy instead of sewing.

Snoodles said...

I remember the bubble lights on my grandparents' tree...I was always cautioned not to touch them - to this day I don't know if they really were hot, or they were just scared I would break them! LOL

Annie said...

I haven't seen a flocked tree in years! They can be pretty though. Your 12 of Hearts quilt is awesome!

Sherry said...

It is so fun to see so many projects that have come together. I am working on the 12 of hearts also but have not assembled it yet. I don't know if I thanked you for the ornaments you sent me in the exchange but I love them. I am writing a blog post to share them soon.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Love your 12 of hearts! So glad you had a fun time with it! Makes me smile sooooooooo big! :) :) :)

Miss Hillbilly said...

What a mess flock trees would make! I wish I could remember bubble lights. Glad you enjoyed the exchange.