Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Looking Forward To . . .


New Year's Eve says goodbye to the old year and hello to the new one. Most people hope that the incoming year includes more blessings and bounty than the previous year and that negative emotions, bad luck and old habits will remain behind when the calendar page flips over. Various traditions, customs and superstitions accompany New Year's Eve:

Many people create resolutions for the coming new year - less than 50 percent keep them for six months. Sharing a kiss at the stroke of midnight on New Year's Eve assures that you will receive lots of affection in the new year . Various New Year's Eve traditions revolve around preventing bad luck and seeding good luck into the new year - break dishes, wearing red or polka dots, burning paper and wood scarecrows, remembering the dead, open up the doors and windows just before midnight and sweep out the old, letting the new blow in, and singing the song "Auld Lang Syne" following the stroke of midnight. And as old as time - fireworks!


BRING ON THE NEW


You have to check out Barbara's Challenge at CatPatches as I think this is so going to be fun - starting NEW UFOs! And it's OK!! It fit's in my plans for 2012 - lots of fun new small projects, some with new techniques to learn - like Shell's Hannah & Harrington BOM - working with wool applique will be new and fun for me.


I want to do a monthly mini for my new Ackfeld Wire table stand - a lot of projects will be tied into these minis. I got a little bored and already have my January mini ready. You may have noticed the new buttons - Little Houses here a really cool site, too. And the Mini Sampler at Temecula Quilt Co. with simple little squares is easy peasy.


And check the button for Marcia's Scrap Challenge. I went thru my one scrap drawer and pulled my fabrics to play with. And the Color Pallette Challenge should be a lot of fun to tie into all this along with the Free Motion Quilting.


I want to make at least an ornament a week to plan ahead for a future swap as well as gifts - and as part of Sue's Christmas Quilt Along monthly fun (hostess for July). Since my sewing things were packed away for the Holiday, I spent time starting a few. And I want to continue with my block swaps and Cheryll's wonderful Season and specialty swaps. Oh, and the Jelly Roll fun - have my JRs and even some Charms ready to play with (loved those sales).


And there are already plans in the works for May For Me in 2012. For my new followers, you may want to peek back into May 2011's posts for an idea - I celebrate my birthday all month long!! But, something new is in the works for you all to have fun with - we (yes, there is more than me in this mix of fun) hope to release details in February, tease!!! AND really, who knows what other fun activities bloggers, quilt magazines, sponsors, and the whole net-working source will have to offer us in 2012 - I'm excited!

NEW YEAR'S BREAKFAST/BRUNCH






I haven't had a recipe in a while - so sharing one of our New Year's brunch favorites - SCRAMBLED EGG NESTS **linking up with Marcia's Minutes for Me**








Ingredients:
1 (3 1/2-cup) bag frozen shredded potatoes, defrosted
vegetable oil or butter
salt
pepper
6 eggs
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup finely diced onions
1/3 cup finely diced bell peppers
3/4 cup diced cooked breakfast sausage
Shredded Cheddar cheese

Instructions:
Pre-heat the oven to 400°. In a large bowl, toss together the potatoes, 1/4 cup of the oil or butter, salt, and pepper. Spoon about 1/3 cup of the potato mixture into each cup of a 12-serving muffin tin. Press the mixture into the bottom and up the sides of each cup, then bake until golden brown, about 30 to 35 minutes. Remove the nests from the oven and allow them to cool.

While Nests are cooling, whisk together the eggs and milk. Add a little oil or butter to a large nonstick saute pan over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions and peppers to the pan and saute until both are soft and the onions are slightly golden, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the sausage and cook until heated through. Add the egg mixture and stir until the eggs have set and small curds have formed. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Remove the potato nests from the muffin tin and place them on an ovenproof platter or cookie sheet. Fill each cup with some of the egg mixture, top with a sprinkling of the cheese, and place the nests in a 350° oven until the cheese is melted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Serve warm.

Alternatives:
Mushrooms, baby peas, cilantro, capers, bacon crisps, or a cheese blend instead of cheddar. Potato mixture can be spread into a pie dish or baking pan instead of the individual nests. Then add your scrambled egg/extras.

CLOSING THOUGHT

We've Holidays and happy days, and memory days galore;
And when we've toasted every one, I offer just one more.
So let us lift our glasses high, and drink a silent toast;
To the day, deep buried in each heart that each one loves the most.

Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

35 comments:

Kris said...

Sharon - It has been such a pleasure to get to know you and see all the wonderful things you work on and share with us this past year!! I hope that 2012 is full of family, peace, quilting and love for you and yours!!! Happy New Year!! Kris

Miss Hillbilly said...

That closing thought was lovely!

Hmmm that big ????...truly intriguing.

I hopped over and looked at that mini sampler. That I can do! It looks so easy! Thanks a bunch!!

Barbara said...

This all looks great! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

hi Sharon hope you had a good xmas.xx

Larissa said...

Wow! You've got quite a year planned Sharon!!! Looks like a great plan!!! ... Now, if I could just get a quarter of that done this year I'll be happy, lol!

Lesley said...

Aren't you smart to make a plan! You have lots of variety and I know you'll have a lot of fun! Will see you in some of the quilt alongs!

Michele said...

That is some list. And to add to it....meet up with local blogging friends. Hopefully soon. Enjoy your New Year's celebration and then get sewing. That is what I am hoping to do.

Belinda said...

Wow Sharon! You have it all planned out and know just what you are going to do. And so many things! I'm amazed and a little envious. Happy New Year my friend!!

Karen said...

Thanks for all the possibilities of fun quilty things to do in 2012. I know I can't do them all but I really need to decide which ones I do have time for. Thanks for being an inspiration to me.

Sue Daurio said...

Love your recipes and this one is a keeper, going to try that one this week. Thanks for sharing! Happy 2012 to you Sharon!!

Dawnmarie's Life said...

Can't wait to see more of your mini quilts this year! I've only made one so far, but it was such fun!

Pattilou said...

It's always an inspiration for me to see what you are doing. You are one productive quilter!

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

looks like another busy year for you !! Those little eggs nests look yummy..thanks!

QuiltSue said...

What a great list of projects. When are you planning to sleep though?

Denise :) said...

Barbara's NewFO does sound like fun and I'm going to play along with that, too!! Your Scrambled Egg Nests look yummy, too -- I believe I'll give that one a try. Thanks for sharing and enjoy these last few precious days of 2011! :)

Mrs.Pickles said...

wow you sure have everything planed out!! Can you come over here and help me now..lol

Rosa said...

You`ll be very busy and hope you have fun with all the projects.
I joined the little housescraps.

Happy New Year!!

Kate said...

Lots of cool ideas for 2012. I'm looking forward to seeing your challenge posts next year.

Marcia - Crafty Sewing and Quilting said...

Great post - full of lots of cool challenges in 2012! I already hopped over to Cat Patches and linked up! Thanks for the mention on the Scrappy Quilt Challenge and the linky party and the Update on May for Me! It is going to be so cool!
Thanks for linking up! The Scrabbled Egg Nest looks tasty!
Happy New Year!

Snoodles said...

Whoooeeee! Lots going on in the new year! I'm looking forward to our surprises in May! Heehee! Hafta go and order my wire display.... :)

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Loved your post! The New FO Challenge looks like my life as a quilter.....giggle.

I'm going to have to get Big Mick to make that Breakfast Recipe. I've already printed it out for him.

Happy New Year Sharon!!

Gmama Jane said...

You and I must be night owls because we are often the first to post on blogs very late at night or early in the morning...whichever way you want to look at it!!
Now let's you and I go to bed!!
Warm Blessings
Gmama Jane
1;20 a.m. Dec. 29th

Mama Spark said...

Your blog is always hopping! It will be fun to see what you have going on through out the new year!

KatieQ said...

I can't imagine your birthday month celebration being bigger and better than last year. You made it fun for everyone.
I started to make my list for 2012 last night and I'm already committed to Marcia's scrap challenge, Cat Patches New FOs, and the Little House Block a day quilt along. I'm not sure I can manage the last one. I think the finished paper pieced blocks are 3 inches. It sound more like your forte.

rubyslipperz1052 said...

You've got a "quilt marathon" list...girl! I've still got family here, so I've not had time to see where I'm going with meee ol'crafty stuff for 2012. I know that I will be doing OPAM (one project a month). But, after that...I can't think yet.

I get scared sometimes to make too many commitments and then, I just want to hang myself out to dry for not getting it done.

You definitely inspire me to work harder and get more done. Thanks for ALL YOU do!!

hugZ,
annie

Sheila said...

So many good plans for the new year.
The egg nest looks wonderful. Thanks for the recipe.
Yes. A toast to the day and loved ones :D

Deb said...

Always love visiting your blog Sharon. Happy New Year to you and all the best for 2012.

Wilma Lee said...

I bought a 12 inch wire stand that I need to make small pieces for also!! I'll keep an eye out for what you make. The recipe looks delicious!!

Paulette said...

I've thought about both the NewFO and Marcia's scrap challenge this week. Looks like you've got some neat things going on or in the plans. All the best to you in the New Year!

Sarah Craig said...

Looks like you've got a busy and exciting year ahead of you! Whoop whoop!!

Vicki @ DottyJane said...

Good luck for all your creative plans in the new year!

Unknown said...

Sharon your ornament I received thru the exchange has meant a lot to me. It shall not be packed away with the Christmas decorations but will instead be in my creating room as an inspiration to think tiny! Thank you so much for this tiny wall hanging of pure joy. Jill

Cheryl said...

Happy New Year to one of the best swap partners ever and one inspiring lady!!!

Anonymous said...

Im looking forward to getting to know you more in the new year! A RESOLUION TO KEEP!

Michelle said...

Oh, I hope our bad luck from last year stays behind in 2011!

Those scrambled egg nests look yummy. I'll have to pick up hasbrowns when I go grocery shopping this week.